Skip to main content

Imaginary Friend

One interesting thing to know about my childhood, is that I grew up next to a small graveyard. I spent  a lot of play time there alone. There were fewer than twenty graves there at the time in the 70's and 80's. Today, there are still less than twenty five. The graveyard sat higher than our home, a top a steep embankment. A row of pine trees separated our property from the first row of graves. Those same pine trees, were planted by my father after each Christmas. Proudly, they stand there today.


I played in the graveyard all throughout my childhood. I skipped along the graves, climbed on top of the large ones and sat kicking my feet against the cold marble. I played hide and go seek with my imaginary friends. I rode my bicycle through the graveyard on many occasions. Not once, did I fear the place. It was for me, an escape. My very own private playground. 

My friend Adam was a young boy, about age 4 or 5. He had brown hair and wore a hat. He never came inside my house. He was instead in the graveyard and in my backyard. He and I played a lot. I told him everything about my day from the moment I saw him. It never occurred to me that he didn't play in my house. He waited for me though, right outside, at the side facing the graveyard. Of course as I got older, I reflected back to my friend Adam and I am sure that he was a ghost. His features were very real. He had substance and always wore the same hat.

There was a child buried in the graveyard. Small, white, marble tombstones, one with a lamb on top of it.I do believe that was my friend I knew as "Adam." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stonewall Jackson Training School

Sometime in the early part of 2010, I took a drive around Concord N.C. just sigh seeing. I had a friend tell me about a place that used to be a school for boys named Stonewall Jackson Training center. It was said to be haunted. It was a Sunday, cloudy and a light rain was falling on and off. The layout of the buildings made the grounds look like a military base. Several tall, brick buildings that were abandoned. I did take several photos of both the inside and outside that day. If you look closely at the upper left window, do you see what I see? A boys' face looking back at you?

The Wrenn House~ Salisbury N.C.

During the fall of 2009, I was invited to go to the Wrenn House in Salisbury N.C. by a friend for a late dinner. The Wrenn House has a recorded paranormal history. ( http://www.sdparanormal.com/articles/article/1961531/150512.htm ) The Wrenn House Grill & Pub, located in[0xa0]one of downtown’s oldest structures, has been investigated several times. The 1829, Flemish Bond brick building was constructed as a Female Academy by the First Presbyterian Church, and was used as a school for almost 100 years. Often school personnel lived in a portion of the building. In the early 1920s, Jimmy Wren and his sister, Mary (Molly) Wren, were invited by the church to use the building as their home.[0xa0]The Wrens were in their 70s and they lived in the building until their deaths in 1933 and 1943. For many years, the Wrens[0xa0]had been indispensable to Salisbury society. In the early 1900s, it was often said, “It takes four people to get married in Salisbury ... The bride, the groom

Concord Rental House

Around 2008-2009 I rented a house in Concord N.C. It was part of the Brown Mill Community. If you're not familiar with what that means, N.C. had thread and fabric mills. The local mill, in this case Brown Mill, would setup villages for their workers to live in, at a reduced rate of course. These historic neighborhoods are very quaint, a piece of history. Depending upon the surrounding area, these homes could be very expensive to occupy  if in the right neighborhood. This wasn't the case for me. I paid $500 a month, quite inexpensive at the time. I got a discount because the owners son was married to a  secretary at our rehab. The original owner though was the current owners Dad. He was one of those mill workers in the day. When I went to tour the home to see if it was worth the money, I immediately fell in love. So cute. Two fireplaces, only five rooms, a built on bathroom, fenced in yard, plenty of parking, large trees shading the whole home and a front porch. I couldn't