Skip to main content

Danger Hill

There is a road in Christiansburg Va that is known by locals as "Danger Hill." It was always the one road that every teenager would prove their bravery by driving up/down once they got their drivers license. One of those teenagers was me. In total though, I've only driven that road 2-3 times.

For me, the road had a different meaning.

I was six years old in 1979, when my grandpa died in a car accident. I don't have any memory of the event of course. I was told about how he died as a child and knew it was on that hill. I found out more details just in the last few years. The newspaper article about it was slim to say the least. Here is what happened.

My grandfather was at the top of danger hill, in his small pickup truck. He pulled out from the stop sign to go down the hill, when a witness saw his truck coming down the hill very quickly. The witness said that my grandpa was leaned forward onto the steering wheel, appearing to be asleep. His position on the wheel kept the truck steady and in a straight path. As the truck picked up speed on the dissent, it made it to the cross road a the bottom of the road and then went airborne, crashing through the large doors of a train depot. Another detail that I found out regarding the impact, is that the top of the truck was ripped off, also decapitating my grandpa. His head remained in the truck. What a horrific thing to consider. The coroner said that he likely had a massive heart attack and passed out across the wheel.

I can only imagine the trauma, and pure horror of my mother and her six siblings, and my Maw-Maw having to see that image in their minds. 

An amazing story though that came from that was told to me by my Uncle Carlos. He was sleeping in his home the night after my Grandpa's death. My cousin Darrell was there also. The family came together of course, to mourn and prepare for his funeral. My Uncle stated that he was sleeping and was awoke by feel of a large heavy bang, that accompanied the feeling of something hitting/falling onto the bottom of the bed. He said that it felt like a bowling ball hitting the end of the bed. Then, there was a thump, as the "ball" hit the floor and began rolling.

How ironic! Very likely it was a sign. My Uncle believed that it was his father, letting them know that everything was okay. I can't help but think that what he heard was the sound of a head hitting the bed and rolling. It's gruesome, it's horrible, but I can't shake that image. It doesn't comfort me. It's haunting.

My grandfather was a minister. Yet, look how he died. More of a message, a warning.


My Maw-Maw had a Daily Devotional book with a bookmark in it next to her bed. I inspected it one time and noticed that it was old. It was from 1979. I asked my grandma why she had kept such an old book next to her bed. She said that Grandpa had marked it the day he died. Sure enough, the devotional book had a bookmark in it on the day he died. She also said that Grandpa had a vision about his death and shared it with her. He knew that he was going to die soon. Interesting. It seemed very prophetic at the time, but was it. He knew when he was going to die? God had shown his death?

I'm not sure if her home was haunted or not, but the upstairs bathroom, their master bedroom had a toilet that would flush on its own. Maybe she just needed a new fill stand. Now, I know if the tank leaks, then it will flush on it's own at times. Also, at times, times that I remember when we were downstairs, you could hear someone walking upstairs. Grandma said it was Grandpa coming to visit. Maybe it was. Why not? I used to run to bottom of the stairs totally expecting someone to be at the top of the stairs after hearing the footsteps. 






Newspaper Article:
A Blacksburg man was killed instantly when the truck he was driving crashed through the roof of the Norfolk and Western train station in Christiansburg. 

According to Christiansburg Police Chief Alvin Hale, Novie Otis Cox, 68, was killed when the 1971 pickup he was driving left the road and crashed through the roof and door of the NW station. 

Cox was traveling north on East Main St. in Christiansburg headed down a steep grade. Police said the vehicle, which was apparently traveling on the wrong side of the road, became "airborne" after crossing Depot St. and traveled approximately 50 yards in the air before striking the railroad station near the tracks. The vehicle crashed through an overhanging portion of the roof on the passenger station and traveled through the door to the building. 

Bill Harmon, stationmaster at the Christiansburg depot, said he heard a noise but didn't know the building had been hit. "I was on the west end of the building and I heard a noise but I thought the wreck had been down in Cambria." Harmon said it wasn't until someone came running into the building looking for him that he knew of the accident. "It's a good thing nobody was waiting for the 1011 (Amtrak's Hill topper)" Harmon said. "He was coming down what they call 'Danger Hill' and went over the guard rail. He hit the eave of the building and it just cut the top off the pickup then he crashed through the double doors and landed in the baggage room."

The vehicle was demolished and damage to the train station was estimated at $2,000. The cause of the accident is still unknown and is being investigated by Christiansburg police.

Page 1 & 12- THE NEWS JOURNAL, RADFORD, TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 18. 1979

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stonewall Jackson Training School

Sometime in the early part of 2010, I took a drive around Concord N.C. just sigh seeing. I had a friend tell me about a place that used to be a school for boys named Stonewall Jackson Training center. It was said to be haunted. It was a Sunday, cloudy and a light rain was falling on and off. The layout of the buildings made the grounds look like a military base. Several tall, brick buildings that were abandoned. I did take several photos of both the inside and outside that day. If you look closely at the upper left window, do you see what I see? A boys' face looking back at you?

The Wrenn House~ Salisbury N.C.

During the fall of 2009, I was invited to go to the Wrenn House in Salisbury N.C. by a friend for a late dinner. The Wrenn House has a recorded paranormal history. ( http://www.sdparanormal.com/articles/article/1961531/150512.htm ) The Wrenn House Grill & Pub, located in[0xa0]one of downtown’s oldest structures, has been investigated several times. The 1829, Flemish Bond brick building was constructed as a Female Academy by the First Presbyterian Church, and was used as a school for almost 100 years. Often school personnel lived in a portion of the building. In the early 1920s, Jimmy Wren and his sister, Mary (Molly) Wren, were invited by the church to use the building as their home.[0xa0]The Wrens were in their 70s and they lived in the building until their deaths in 1933 and 1943. For many years, the Wrens[0xa0]had been indispensable to Salisbury society. In the early 1900s, it was often said, “It takes four people to get married in Salisbury ... The bride, the groom

Concord Rental House

Around 2008-2009 I rented a house in Concord N.C. It was part of the Brown Mill Community. If you're not familiar with what that means, N.C. had thread and fabric mills. The local mill, in this case Brown Mill, would setup villages for their workers to live in, at a reduced rate of course. These historic neighborhoods are very quaint, a piece of history. Depending upon the surrounding area, these homes could be very expensive to occupy  if in the right neighborhood. This wasn't the case for me. I paid $500 a month, quite inexpensive at the time. I got a discount because the owners son was married to a  secretary at our rehab. The original owner though was the current owners Dad. He was one of those mill workers in the day. When I went to tour the home to see if it was worth the money, I immediately fell in love. So cute. Two fireplaces, only five rooms, a built on bathroom, fenced in yard, plenty of parking, large trees shading the whole home and a front porch. I couldn't